Founded by John Benson in 1885, Far Niente prospered until the onset of Prohibition in 1919, when the winery ceased operation and the buildings and estate were abandoned. Sixty years later, in 1979, Gil and Beth Nickel purchased the old stone shell of a winery and spent three years restoring the building to its original, 19th century grandeur. During restoration the name, "Far Niente," which romantically translated means "without a care," was found carved in stone on the front of the building. In 1998, Far Niente was reunited with its past when a bottle of 1886 Far Niente Sweet Muscat, intact with its original cork, capsule and label, was found in a wine cellar in Marin County, California. Now on the National Register of Historic Places, Far Niente produces critically acclaimed, estate bottled Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon wines that are renowned for their consistent house style and ability to evolve with extended age.
To experience Far Niente's western Oakville winery is to discover one of the most enchanting settings in wine country. Currently, every private Far Niente tasting is led by one of our professional wine hosts and is exclusive to your party, with spacious outdoor seating set among 13 acres of lush gardens.
Experience our classic Napa Valley estate wines in one of the most enchanting settings in wine country. Every private Far Niente tasting is led by one of our professional wine hosts and is exclusive to your party, with spacious outdoor seating set among 13 acres of lush gardens. Our stunning stone winery, flourishing vineyards and timeless wines are waiting for you.Music in Tasting Room: Classical, Light, Jazz
Wine clubs are a great way to stay connected to your favorite wineries.
To join the wine club, visit www.farniente.com or call 707-944-2861.
"Dolce Far Niente," the Italian phrase meaning, "It's sweet doing nothing," describes a way of enjoying life's passions, without a care. It is a phrase that embodies the spirit of the Far Niente, Dolce and Nickel & Nickel wineries.
We invite you to become a patron of the Dolce Far Niente Society, a club comprised of enthusiasts of the Far Niente family of wineries. It's our way of bringing a touch of Dolce Far Niente to you throughout the year.
The benefits of membership include:
- Four quarterly shipments, including three bottles of wine consisting of a combination of Far Niente, Dolce and/or Nickel & Nickel.
- Shipments may include advance and current vintages, as well as offerings from the Far Niente Cave Collection library.
- 20 percent savings on the additional purchase of the featured wines for 30 days after each shipment.
- 15 percent savings on additional purchases of wine anytime from Far Niente, Dolce and Nickel & Nickel, in person or by phone.
- Complimentary VIP tours and tastings by appointment at the private Far Niente winery, as well as at Nickel & Nickel. Members may be joined by two guests for the tours and tastings.
- Invitations to exclusive, patron-only winery events and programs at Far Niente and Nickel & Nickel.
Ask a winery associate to begin your membership either in person at the winery, or by calling Far Niente at 707-944-2861.
Once a year the rarest new Napa Valley wines become available under one roof at Premiere Napa Valley. Wineries throughout the Napa Valley are given one task to participate: create a one-of-a-kind wine for this event to be purchased by one lucky bidder. This event is only open to select members of the wine trade and the successful bidder is the sole owner of this unique wine.
Varietal: Cabernet Sauvignon
Release Date: January - 2021
To purchase this wine or check on availability contact:
Granite Bay CA